Thursday, December 16, 2010

Salmon Patties


Blame it on the rare hot weather, the abundance of tomatoes & fresh vegetables or just plain homesickness, but I've been doing more Southern cooking lately.

Tonight will be Salmon Patties as I remember them from my childhood - almost. Actually, I can't stand anything from my childhood without substantial modification. Except tomatoes and peaches.

I used the Whole Foods brand of salmon, but I think any reasonable brand or type would do. I mixed the 2 types because I couldn't decide. There is no significance in this strange behavior.


  • 1 14.75 oz can of Pink Salmon with liquid
  • 1 7.5 oz can of Red Sockeye Salmon with liquid
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 box Ak-Mak crackers (20 crackers)
  • seasoning to taste - one time I used:
    • 1 tsp ground roasted cumin seeds
    • a generous grind of black pepper
    • 1 tsp fennel seeds
    • a dash of ground cayenne
    • 1 Tbs El Yucatan Chipotle Sauce (smoky, a little hot  & sweet


Crush the crackers as fine as you care to, mix with other ingredients and feel free to experiment. Smash up and mix well to get the lumps out. Use more or less crackers, or add water, milk or other liquid if needed. No salt is needed, the salmon and crackers have enough already.

Shape into patties - I used a 1/3 cup portion per patty. Press in hot skillet to about 1/2 inch thick.



Fry in light oil (peanut, safflower, ...) in medium heat until browned on both sides. This should not be rushed. Give the eggs time to get cooked under not too hot heat.

No comments: